Thursday 15 December 2016

The Way To True Freedom

I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. - Gal 2:20

Everything in the old nature has been co-crucified with Christ on the Cross. It is dead. A dead person no longer speaks. Neither does anything that is dead has any power.

Old nature does not only encompass sinful habits and behaviours, it also includes everything of the past. The old nature is what separates us from Christ. This is why Romans 8:38-39 says, "For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

"Things present nor things to come" cannot separate us from the love of Christ. But the things of the past is not in that list, because our past can separate us from receiving His love.

The old nature includes the things of the past. It could be sickness; it could be a broken heart; it could be an emotional trauma; it could be a bad childhood experience, etc. These are things of the past - the old nature that has been crucified with Christ on the Cross.

The way to freedom, therefore, is this: "It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh (body), I live by faith in the Son of God."

This means that I only focus on Christ in me, the Hope of glory. He is the new Man. He is the perfect Man. I stop giving the things of the past any influence or power. I live my life thinking Christ and seeing Christ. What I see in Him is what He sees in me. I simply look at Christ and say, "That's me. That's my new man." And I live that way. This is beholding as in the mirror the glory of the Lord.

When thoughts of the past come to my mind, when feelings of the past come to my mind, I say, "These thoughts and feelings are no longer me. They belong to the old man, which has been crucified with Christ. Father, I thank You that I am a brand new man. Thank You that I have been set free from those stuff. Thank You for the Gospel." And I continue walking out who I am in Christ.

In this way, I don't need mental medicine. I don't need counseling. I don't need inner healing. Because I just need truth, which sets me free from me, so that I can live in true freedom. The Gospel is a one-step programme where I receive a brand new life in Jesus' name.

No comments:

Post a Comment